Vysočina Region Biodiversity
Project realised by:
Partners of the project:
- University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
- 62/88 Local chapter of the Czech Union for Nature Conservation in Kněžice
- Museum of the Highlands, Jihlava
Term of realisation:
December, 2014 – April, 2017
CZK 12 078 205
Financing of the project:
The project is supported by the grant from Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway (n. EHP-CZ02-OV-1-064-01-2014) with the contribution of CZK 10 870 384. The project is also co-sponsored by the Vysočina Region Branch of the Czech Society for Ornithology, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, ZO ČSOP Kněžice and Museum of the Highlands in Jihlava.
Summary of the project:
The “Vysočina Region Biodiversity” project is focused on the implementation of national strategies of conservation of nature and biodiversity in close cooperation with local and regional authorities, public and non-profit sector. The aim is to complete the knowledge missing for qualified decision making concerning the biodiversity conservation in the Vysočina Region. Within the project, a collection of data about biodiversity will take place and two new expert documents needed for decision making and systematic approach to biodiversity conservation will be prepared. The occurrence of chosen groups of organisms will be processed with focus on rare and endangered species. Important places of biodiversity will be evaluated in the Vysočina Region.
In cooperation with several other institutions and series of professionals, expert studies will be prepared in the project. The studies will deal with the following groups of organisms:
- vascular plants
- oribatid mites
- terrestrial isopods
- beetles (ground beetles, longhorn beetles, reed beetles)
- butterflies and moths
Various groups of organisms will be processed with different level of detailed information according to the current knowledge and possibilities of individual experts participating in the project. The studies will deal with the following topics:
- Commented list of the taxa of the given group of organisms found in the Vysočina Region.
- Commented regional red list of the taxa of the given group of organisms found in the Vysočina Region.
- Current abundance of chosen rare, endangered and regionally important taxa of the given group of organisms in the Vysočina Region.
- Historical occurrence of the chosen rare, endangered and regionally important taxa of the given group of organisms in the Vysočina Region.
- An overview of the most important localities of the given group of organisms in the Vysočina Region.
To complete the data for the above given studies, field researches will be performed as well as processing of already published as well as not-published data and collection records. The most important localities found that still are not protected or filed by authorities will be proposed to be included in to the list of so called „filed localities of nature conservation“ that operates in the Vysočina Region and that is used mainly by the nature conservation institutions for their activities. Eventually, the project may give rise to proposals for establishment of new specially protected small areas.
Publicity will be an integral part of the project, which includes two expert workshops, issuing of pupular-science publications and pupularising booklets, press releases and web pages of the project, which will also offer the found results.